Skip to main content

15. If I have been ill-treated by the police, how can I lodge a complaint against the police?

Complaints can be lodged with the Complaints Against Police Office (CAPO) in person or by post to any police station or at the Complaints Against Police Reporting Centre on G/F, Annex Block, Caine House, No.3 Arsenal Street , Wanchai, Hong Kong . Complaints can also be made by telephone, fax or via the internet. The details are as follows:


Tel: 2866 7700
Fax: 2200 4460; 2200 4461; 2200 4462
e-Report Room:


On completion of the investigation, CAPO must pass the results to the Independent Police Complaints Council (IPCC) for endorsement. The IPCC is completely independent of the Police. The IPCC will review each case received from CAPO by examining the investigation files and other relevant documents . For further information on the complaint procedures, please go to the CAPO's webpage.


It is also possible for you to make a civil claim against the police for compensation. But you should first seek legal advice before you decide whether or not to take any legal action.