Skip to main content

4. Do I need legal representations in Arbitration or Mediation?

Just like any Civil Proceedings in Hong Kong, a party can represent himself or herself in Arbitration or Mediation if they cannot afford, or do not wish to have, legal representation.


However, a party may have professional legal representation if they want to and can afford it. Generally speaking, legal representation is recommended and is likely to be helpful if the case involves points of law that the party does not fully understand, or is complicated.


The Judiciary’s Mediation Information Office provides useful information on mediation. For details, please go to


The Joint Mediation Helpline Office Ltd. (“the JMHO”), a non-profit-making organization jointly founded by the Hong Kong Mediation Council, the Hong Kong Bar Association, the Law Society of Hong Kong, the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (East Asia Branch), the Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators, the Hong Kong Institute of Architects, the Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors and the Hong Kong Mediation Centre, also provides useful information to the general public. (