Skip to main content

3. Can I obtain Legal Aid if I want to plead guilty to the charge?

Yes, so long as you can satisfy the financial means test.


It is generally desirable for you to have legal representation even if you intend to plead guilty to the criminal charge. First, you may obtain legal advice from the lawyer assigned by Legal Aid before you finally decide whether you should plead guilty. Second, if you decide to plead guilty, the assigned lawyer can represent you in Court to make a plea in mitigation on your behalf.