7. How long do I have to wait for the result of my application?
In normal circumstances, you will be informed whether or not you will be granted Legal Aid within the period set out below:
- For committal proceedings in Magistrates Courts: within 8 working days from your application.
- For trial cases in the District Court or the Court of First Instance of High Court: within 10 working days from your application.
- For appeal against sentence: within 2 months from your application.
- For appeal against conviction: within three months from your application.
If a decision cannot be made within the above period, the staff of the Legal Aid Department will explain to you the situation and tell you when a decision will likely be made.
If there is a real urgency, you may request the staff of the Legal Aid Department to process your application on an urgent basis.