Skip to main content

4. A man intentionally wounded me and was convicted of criminal assault. Can I make a claim against him for civil damages through personal injury litigation? What happens if the defendant does not have any money to pay compensation?

Yes, a personal injury claim can be made against a person who has criminally assaulted you.  If the defendant has no money to pay compensation under a personal injury claim, the plaintiff may choose to commence bankruptcy proceedings or other appropriate enforcement proceedings against the defendant to recover the judgement sum.