Skip to main content

1. My friend, who is a solicitor, told me about something called an Enduring Power of Attorney, which will allow someone to take care of my financial affairs if I become mentally incapacitated.  That seems to be a good idea.  So I can just sign an Enduring Power of Attorney appointing my son to be my attorney, and he will take care of everything, right?

Well, your son, i.e. your attorney cannot take care of “everything”.  The law prescribes that a donor under an Enduring Power of Attorney must specify the particular matters, property or affairs in relation to which the attorney has authority to act.  So you have to do something more than just signing a document.