Skip to main content

1. My parents are getting old and they want to appoint me as their attorney under their Enduring Powers of Attorney.  Of course I am most willing to help.  I know I am supposed to take care of their financial affairs if they become mentally incapacitated.  But how should I exercise my power?  I have siblings and I don’t want to see any dispute arise among us regarding the management of our parents’ assets.  Frankly, I don’t want to be blamed by anyone for mismanaging those assets if something goes wrong.

A straight-forward answer to your question is: you should refer to section 12(2) of the Enduring Powers of Attorney Ordinance (Cap.501 of the Laws of Hong Kong), which deals with the duties of an attorney. One further hint is: once you start exercising your power as an attorney, if you always make your parents’ best interests a top priority, you probably won’t make any serious mistake.