Skip to main content

1. What should I do when I receive a divorce petition from my spouse? Should I employ a lawyer or can I handle it myself?

When you receive or are served a divorce petition from your spouse, as stated in paragraph 1 of Form 3, you will have to fill in and return the Acknowledgment of Service (Form 4) to the registry. You have 8 days to return the Form 4 (including the day of service). In the Form 4, you will be required to fill in various information, including if you intend to defend the divorce, if there are any claims for financial relief or in relation to children matters.


You may find it helpful to seek legal advice and engage a lawyer to deal with these matters, especially if you do not agree to the divorce, or if you and your spouse cannot agree on children and financial matters.