Skip to main content

2. I got married to my partner outside Hong Kong; however, we lost our marriage certificate and the overseas government did not re-issue the marriage certificate to us.  How can I apply for divorce in Hong Kong under the circumstances?

Generally speaking, when applying for divorce, you will need to provide your original marriage certificate or a certified copy with the petition. You will not be able to file for divorce if you do not have your marriage certificate or a certified copy of the same. However, the petitioner can apply ex parte to the court to dispense with the filing of the certificate of marriage.


If the certificate of marriage is not in English then, unless otherwise directed, it must be accompanied by a translation certified by a notary public or authenticated by affidavit or affirmation.