Skip to main content

2. I am a shop owner and have bought a lawful copy of a musical CD. Will I infringe the copyright if I play the CD in my shop?

Yes. Playing a musical CD in your shop amounts to playing a sound recording in public, as well as performing the music recorded on the CD in public. Both are infringing acts if they are done without the consent of the copyright owners (i.e. the producer of the sound recording, and the composer of the recorded music). You are advised to contact the appropriate collecting society to obtain the permission of the copyright owners (please refer to the relevant question and answer).