Skip to main content

7. If I am the judgment debtor and will launch an appeal to the Court of Appeal, what steps have to be taken if I want to have a stay of execution (suspend the execution) of the judgment or order against me?

The application for a stay of execution of the judgement must be made firstly to the lower court (either the Court of First Instance of the High Court or the District Court) which heard the original trial of your case. If the application is refused, it can be made to the Court of Appeal within a reasonable time. It should be made by way of a summons inter partes (i.e. notifying the other party) with an affidavit or affirmation setting out the reasons in support.