Skip to main content

2. Further to question 1, if I have appointed a lawyer to handle my lawsuit, can I apply for taxation if I am not satisfied with my own lawyer's bill?

Yes, you can have your bill taxed by the court. Your lawyer also has a duty to inform you about this right.


However, you should bear in mind that additional costs for the taxation procedure may be incurred. You may need to appoint another lawyer to represent you in the taxation hearing. If the Taxing Master or Chief Judicial Clerk does not reduce your original bill by one-sixth or more , you will be liable for the costs of the taxation hearing, and will have to pay your lawyer's costs and your own costs (i.e. the costs of both the new lawyer (if any) and the previous lawyer). Therefore, taxation should only be applied for in the last resort.