3. How to commence the taxation of costs?
Generally, you shall prepare and file with the Court two documents in commencement of taxation within 3 months of the costs order made by the Court, i.e. (1) Notice of Commencement of Taxation; and (2) Bill of Costs. Samples of the said documents can be found at Appendices D and B to Practice Direction 14.3 respectively.
Generally, the contents of a Bill of Costs include:
- the title of the action;
- the relevant costs order, setting out the date and by whom it was made;
- the fee earner and the hourly rate claimed;
- the items of work done, by whom and on what dates they were done. The items should be numbered and in chronological order;
- the costs charged on each item of work.
- the disbursements such as counsel's fees, expert fees and court fees;
- costs of taxation; and
- the total amount of all costs claimed.